Thursday 23 June 2016

Deciding on an accountant after speaking to two

As I have started to pull things together for my startup business I said that I would keep you informed. On Monday I went about the business of finding an accountant. I had emailed some the week before and two came out from the crowd as people I'd like to speak to. I arranged to meet them both on Monday afternoon - and here's how it went.

Accountant 1

Although accountants have a reputation.l for being dull, this was not the case at all. I spoke to them and found that they were  vibrant, switched on and really interested in my business. As with the other accountant (more later) it was a no-obligation chat. It gave me the chance to ask questions, gain knowledge and build rapport. This was everything I had hoped for but probably not what I had expected.

I wanted to know the things that would directly affect me such as how I should set up my accounts, when I was due to pay tax and how much their service cost. I felt as thing they had my best interests at heart and I could work with them. We left it as we would stay in touch but nothing was needed until the end of the tax year in April 2017.



Accountant 2

This was a little bit of a contrast and it felt like I was dealing with a used car salesman or financial adviser. There was some interest in what I did at the start but it felt false. After that it was all about trying to get me signed up and trying to sell me extras such as accounting software and a business bank account. I know everyone has to make money but it didn't feel right.

Again I said that I would stay in touch but I did email to say that I would be using someone else.

Conclusion

With many people you deal with in business (or anywhere in life) it is the feeling you get that dictates your decisions. I don't think it is fair to name names on here. I am based near to Durham in England so if you are looking for an accountant in this area message me and I can give you a bit more detail if you'd like.

The next step is a business bank account. I'll let you know how I get on with this soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment